Moseley Road Baths in Balsall Heath, Birmingham is a well loved and well used Grade II* listed Edwardian Swimming Pool of huge historical and architectural significance. Pool no. 2 is used for swimming all week round by the whole community and the magnificently restored Gala Pool area is open for a wide variety of community activities and events.
Thanks to wonderful assistance and funding from heritage partners – the National Trust, World Monuments Fund and Historic England – and from Birmingham City Council, all working together with the Charitable Incorporated Organisation (CIO), the longer term future of this beautiful building is being secured.
Moseley Road Baths had been scheduled to close in Summer 2017. A wide Action Group, that included the Friends of Moseley Road Baths, came together to look into ways of keeping the Baths open. The Action Group came up with a plan to run the Baths as a non-profit community enterprise, and after lots of discussions, the City Council agreed to the plan. Since 1st April 2018, Moseley Road Baths has been run by Moseley Rd Baths C.I.O.
The CIO, together with the National Trust, World Monuments Fund, Historic England and Birmingham City Council are all working to secure the longer term future of this beautiful building and ensure the building can be used for other uses alongside swimming. The Friends of Moseley Road Baths remain the group that promotes and celebrates the Baths and acts as a voice of swimmers.
How you can help the Baths:
- Keep on swimming – use it or lose it. We need your custom to keep the Baths open. There are a selection of swim passes available from Reception – and you can even purchase a pass as a gift!
- Remind your friends and family that the Baths are staying open and encourage them to swim here. You can help spread the word through Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or our newsletter.
- Purchase some of the wonderful merchandise available, including tote bags, prints, swim passes and branded soap.
- Join the team – there are lots of opportunities to volunteer for roles on Reception, supporting tours and enabling activities across the site.
- Train as a lifeguard to enable us to offer more swim sessions – ask at Reception about upcoming courses.
- Become a Trustee.
If interested in getting more involved, please contact Moseley Road Baths at firstname.lastname@example.org or call the pool on 0121 439 0320.
To keep in touch and help our much loved Edwardian pool, sign up for Moseley Road Baths’ newsletter to have all news and events sent straight to your Inbox.
Friends of Moseley Road Baths meetings are held every monthly online– if you wish to participate, please contact email@example.com.
We are also members of the Birmingham Heritage Forum – see their website for other heritage sites and events around the city.