Only 18 months left to save our pool!
Get on board with the Friends of Moseley Road Baths!
We’re now at an absolutely vital stage in our campaign to keep swimming at Moseley Road Baths, with only 18 months until the pool is earmarked to close.
However, we have been here in the past, and over many years the community has rallied to save this vital community facility from closure. Our Council knows how unpopular they will be if they are seen to be the ones bolting the doors.
We have less than a year and a half to get them to reverse their decision and ensure that this beautiful and nationally important building at the heart of our community is not allowed to fall derelict, but to remain as a sign of how our neighbourhood values its heritage and health.
Here are three things that you can do – find out more below:
- Come along to our Annual General Meeting
- See how you can help with our campaigning
- Give us your views on the future of the building
1. Get involved and join us at our AGM
We’re really excited to be holding this year’s AGM at the lovely ORT Café, opposite the pool. This coincides with a photo exhibition of the Baths in the café by local photographer and regular swimmer Vivienne Harrison.
The details are:
Thursday 10th April
Ort Café, Moseley Road (opposite Moseley Road Baths)
7:00pm – 9:00pm
Refreshments available from the usual ORT menu
We are taking nominations for the ‘Officer’ roles of Chair, Secretary and Treasurer, so please send your nominations in advance to firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. We want your skills!
The AGM will take the form of a very hands on working group. We are inviting all attendees to sign up to a ‘subgroup’, so that each and every person can be part of a team of people helping to drive the campaign forward and shift the widespread opposition to the Council’s plans into an increasingly vocal and effective campaign.
We know that there are a wide array of skills and contacts amongst our hundreds of supporters, so please do think about how you would like to contribute.
Our suggested ‘subgroups’ are:
- Media – covering both press liaison and social media, including writing for our blog and newsletter and updating Facebook and Twitter. Producing campaign literature. Building a stock of photo for use in the campaign.
- Lobbying and Liaison – Attending meetings with Councillors and Council Officers, attending District and Ward Committee meetings, liaising with other swimming and campaign groups, building links with local schools and community groups…
- Events – Assisting with organising meetings, street stalls, leafleting, demonstrations, fundraisers, tours of the building.
- Admin – Assisting with the day to day running of the group, supporting the Secretary in answering e-mails, getting notice out about meetings.
These are our suggestions, but we welcome other ideas! Even if you are unable to attend the AGM then do please let us know via e-mail if you would like to contribute!
3. We want your views!
We are currently finalising the details of a meeting with local Councillors, Council Officers and interested parties to discuss options for the future of the building, and we are hoping that this will take place shortly before our AGM. We want to ensure that we represent the views of supporters at this important time. There are so many ideas for uses for the building and so many different models of ownership and management that we know our supporters have strong views on.
We have designed a short survey which should take no more than two minutes to complete. Please, please, do share your views on the two questions around future uses for the building and future ownership and management of the building.
Go to the survey here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/9XWDQT2